Battery Humphreys (3)
Battery Humphreys (3) (1897-1910) - Battery Humphreys was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Monroe, Hampton City, Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 20, 25 Jan 1906, after Ltc. Charles Humphreys, Artillery Corps, who served with distinction during the U.S. Civil War and the Spanish-American War, and who died 22 Mar 1905. The battery transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 Mar 1897 at a cost of $ 59,964.50. Deactivated in 1910.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with one 10" M1888 gun mounted on a M1894 disappearing carriage. This battery was a two story battery with the gun located on the upper level and the magazine located on the lower level.
Visited: 22 Jul 2010