|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Moore (1897-1942) - Battery James Moore is a concrete Endicott Period Coastal Battery located on Fort Casey, Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after MG James Moore, Continental Army, who served with distinction in the Revolutionary War, and who died 9 Apr 1777. The Battery was begun in 1897, emplacements 1 & 2 were completed in 1899 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery 16 Jun 1902. Emplacement #3 was completed in 1904 and transfered to the Coastal Artillery 27 Nov 1905. The total cost was $98,078.05. The battery was inactivated in 1942 during World War II.
Battery Moore History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Battery Moore was designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound.
Originally built with two, 10" M1895 rifles mounted on M1896 disappearing L.F. carriages and one 1895 MI rifle also mounted on a M1896 disappearing L.F. carriage. All of the rifles and carriages were removed and salvaged in 1942-43 during World War II. Emplacement #3 was rearmed with Anti-Aircraft guns during the war and transferred to Battery Kingsbury .
|1||10" Rifle||369.15"||M1895||16||Watervliet||Disappearing Carriage, M1896,
|2||10" Rifle||369.15"||M1895||11||Watervliet||Disappearing Carriage, M1896,
|3||10" Rifle||369.15"||M1895MI||29||Watervliet||Disappearing Carriage, M1896,
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Mar 1933, CDSG|
Battery was clean and dry but empty. No guns or carriages were in place.
Location: On Fort Casey, Whidbey Island, Washington.
Maps & Images Lat: 48.156331 Long: -122.677988
Visited: 18 Jul 2008
Battery Moore Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!