Battery Pratt (1900-1945) - Battery Pratt was a concrete Endicott Period battery built at Fort Stevens (1) between May 1899 and Jun 1900 at a cost of $59,860.19 and was transferred for service 28 Jun 1900. Battery Pratt was named after Bvt. Captain James P. Pratt who was killed 29 May 1864 at Bethesda Church, Virginia, during the U.S. Civil War. Deactivated in 1945.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.
A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" M1897MI rifles on M1898 disappearing carriages. Designed to supplement the six, 10" rifles of the West Battery and upgraded just before World War II to protect the Columbia River mine fields. A separate Command station was located to the right of the Battery on top of a tall metal column. Deactivated in 1945 at the close of World War II.
Battery is in good condition and accessible to the public. The original guns and carriages are gone but a replica of one disappearing gun is being built and installed, see the picture gallery below.
Visited: 20 Sep 2008, 18 May 2008