Battery White (1)
Battery White (1) (1899-1921) - Battery White was a concrete Endicott Period 4" gun battery located on Fort Washington (1), Maryland. The Battery was named for William J.H. White, a surgeon who was killed during the U.S. Civil War at the Battle of Antietam. Battery construction started in May 1898, was completed 30 Jun 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 6 Jul 1899 at a total cost of $13,125. Deactivated in 1921.
Battery White (1) History
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Potomac.
Battery White was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period gun battery with two 4" rapid fire Diggs-Schroeder guns. The guns and carriages mounted in early July 1898. Both the guns and carriages were declared obsolete in 1919 and were subsequently donated to Sol. Mon. Asc. in Ironton, Ohio on 27 Feb 1922.
On Fort Washington National park. No period guns or carriages are in place.
Visited: 4 Apr 2009
Battery White (1) Picture Gallery