|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Gibbs (1864-1864) - Established 21 Jul 1864 by Capt. John M. Drake, 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry, Crook County, Oregon. Named for Governor Addison C. Gibbs. The camp was abandoned 22 Aug 1864 and moved to Camp Dahlgren.
Camp Gibbs History
Selected as the site for a supply depot but abandoned when forage became scarce.
Location: Southeast of Prineville, Crook County, Oregon, on Rt. 380 to Maury Creek Road. South on Maury Creek Road to Arrow Head Loop Road.
Maps & Images Lat: 43.99990 Long: -120.25110
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 134
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 146
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 665
Visited: 8 May 2010
Camp Gibbs Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!