Fort Gaines (4) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Fort Gaines in GO 18, 30 Sep 1861, possibly after Brigadier General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, War of 1812 Veteran. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Gaines Officers of 55th New York Infantry
History of Fort Gaines
Established in August 1861 as a earthen fort with a perimeter of 171 yards and emplacements for six guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Gaines, Capt. Charles Maguire commanding.–Garrison, one company Seventh New York Heavy Artillery–5 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 146 men. Armament, five 32-pounder barbette, one 4 - inch (rifled). Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, ordinary; needs improving. Drill in infantry, indifferent; needs improving. Discipline, indifferent. Garrison is of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1934375
Location: Near Ward Circle on the grounds of American University in Northwest Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.93611 Long: -77.0875
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 135.