Manhattan Beach Military Reservation
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Manhattan Beach Military Reservation (1942-1945) - An World War II Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1942 in Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles County, California. A sub-post of Fort MacArthur. Abandoned in 1945.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Manhattan Beach Military Reservation was established in December 1941 by two gun sections of Battery E, 52nd U.S. Coast Artillery, (Railway) who arrived from Fort Hancock (2), New Jersey, on 24 Dec 1941. This unit arrived with two 8" railway guns and supporting cars and initially emplaced on 27 Dec 1941 at Railroad Avenue and 14th Street in Manhattan Beach pending the construction of a rail spur and support structures. The rail spur and support facilities were completed in August 1942 and the railroad guns moved into position on the high ground on 18th Street, Manhattan Beach. The railroad guns remained emplaced until they were ordered sent to the Sierra Ordnance Depot on 19 Apr 1944.
Click on Battery links below
|No.||Caliber||Type Mount||Service Years||Battery Cost||Notes|
|Battery Eubank||2||8"||Railway||1942-1942-1943-1944||$ 46,907|
Overbuilt with private homes in Manhattan Beach in Los Angeles County, California.
Location: Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles County, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.8908333 Long: -118.4075
- Monett, Cole & Cleland, Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles in World War II, 1945, reprint by Fort MacArthur Military Press, 1992, 44 pages, text and maps, page 7
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles, (LA-AN-WDC-44), 31 Aug 1944, CDSG, page 3
Visited: 7 Jan 2013
Manhattan Beach Military Reservation Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!