Battery 111 (1944-1947) - Battery 111 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Fort H.G. Wright, Fishers Island, Suffolk County, New York. Battery construction started 15 Feb 1943, was completed 23 May 1944 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 14 Jul 1944 at a cost of $ 1,782,001.00. Not armed. Declared surplus in 1947.
World War II
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery for two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on one M4 and one M5 carriage. Work on this battery was ordered curtailed 20 Nov 1943 and the battery was accepted for service without being complete or armed. Both of the guns and both of the carriages were delivered and stored inside the battery as directed. Installation of the battery power units was deferred but commercial power was available.
Gun #105 was transferred to the Ogden depot 6 Apr 1948 and the other gun and both carriages were probably salvaged in place.
No period guns or mounts in place.