Battery Hackleman (2)
Battery Hackleman (2) (1944-1946) - Battery Hackleman was a reinforced concrete, World War II 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort H.G. Wright, Fishers Island, Suffolk County, New York. Battery construction started on 8 Jun 1942, was completed on 15 Sep 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 8 Jan 1944 at a cost of $ 11,801.00. Deactivated in 1946.
World War II
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1903 guns mounted on M1903A1 Pedestal mount carriages. The battery consisted of two reinforced concrete circular gun blocks 100' apart with a C.R.F. station 50' behind the gun line and a buried concrete magazine on the right flank. Limited protection for the gunners was provided by a 2' earth embankment and the gun shield.
The guns and carriages for this battery were transferred from Battery Hackleman (1), Fort Constitution (2) in 1942.
No period guns or mounts in place.