Battery Whiting (2)
Battery Whiting (2) (1942-1946) - Battery Whiting (2) was a reinforced concrete, World War II 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Burnside, Newport County, Rhode Island. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Ltc. Levi Whiting, 1st U.S. Artillery, who served from 1812 to 1852, and who died 3 Aug 1852. Battery construction started 5 May 1942, was completed on 15 Sep 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 29 Aug 1942 at a cost of $ 30,980.00. Deactivated in 1946.
World War II
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Barbette carriages. The guns and carriages for this battery were moved from a battery of the same name at Fort Getty, Battery Whiting (1). Construction of the battery was not the same as the original Endicott Period battery at Fort Getty. The new battery was a single level, open plan, with the guns mounted on concrete pads surrounded by earthen revetments. An earth covered, reinforced concrete magazine was place between the gun emplacements. On top of the magazine was a fire control room for a BC station with a 9' C.R.F. instrument.
The guns and carriages were declared obsolete on 18 Nov 1945 and were processed for disposal 14 Mar 1946.
Part of Beavertail State Park, Beavertail Point, Newport County, Rhode Island. No period guns or mounts in place. Magazine and concrete gun pads remain.
Visited: 29 may 2012
Battery Whiting (2) Picture Gallery