Fort Abercrombie (2)
Fort Abercrombie (2) (1941-1948) - A World War II Coastal Fort first established in 1941 near Kodiak on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Named Fort Abercrombie 2 Apr 1943 after Lt Colonel William R. Abercrombie, a U.S. Army explorer. Abandoned in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Kodiak.
Initally, Miller Point was manned in April 1941 by six men from Battery C, 250th Coast Artillery Regiment, California National Guard. At the peak there were 150-200 men and about 25 Quonset hut quarters at Abercrombie.
Two gun batteries were built and manned from Fort Abercrombie. Battery 403 was an 8" battery with naval guns mounted on specially built carriage. Battery AMTB - Spruce Cape was an Anti Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) battery with a dual mission of protection from fast motor-torpedo boats and aircraft.
Fort Abercrombie was placed in caretaker status in December 1944.
Part of Fort Abercrombie State Historic Park in Kodiak, Kodiak Island Borough, Alaska.