Fort Boonesborough (1775-1820) - A palisaded colonial frontier post established in 1775 by Daniel Boone near the south bank of the Kentucky River in present day Madison County, Kentucky. Unsuccessfully attacked by hostile Indians in 1777 and 1778 during the Revolutionary War. Abandoned as a fortification about 1820. Also known as Daniel Boone's Fort and Fort Boone.
Established on 1 Apr 1775 By Daniel Boone and a party of men under the sponsorship of Richard Henderson and the Transylvania Company to colonize much of present day Kentucky under the name of Transylvania.
The post began as a small stockade that was greatly expanded in 1776 to form a 250' by 150' fortification enclosing the entire community. The expanded fort included a strong palisade with blockhouses at the corners.
The fort was attacked by large numbers of hostile Indians and British sympathizers twice, once in April 1777 and once in September 1778. The attack in September 1778 started a nine day siege (9-17 September) during which the Indians tried repeadedly to breech the defenses but were unsuccessful. The attacking force numbered some 440 Indians and 12 whites against the settlers who numbered 30 men and 20 boys. The settlers lost 2 killed while the Indians lost 37 killed.
Other minor attacks and the occasional kidnapping of settlers kept the fort's occupants vigilant and inside the walls much of the time.
The fort was abandoned as a fortification about 1820. The site became the town of Boonesboro.
Modern day replica of the second fort in Fort Boonesborough State Park, Madison County, Kentucky.