Fort Edwards (2)
Fort Edwards (2) (1816-1824, 1828-1832) - A U.S. Army fort established in 1816 near present day Warsaw in Hancock County, Illinois. Named after Ninian Edwards, governor of the Illinois Territory and third governor of the State of Illinois. Abandoned in 1824. Leased to the American Fur Company from 1828 to 1832.
History of Fort Edwards
Established in 1816 by Brevet Lieutenant Colonel W. Lawrence, to secure the area against the Potawatomi Indians. Built as a stockaded fort located just north of the destroyed Fort Johnson location. Construction was begun in June, 1816 and completed in 1817.
The post became a government Indian Factory from 1818 to 1822. Troops were withdrawn in 1819, but were later posted there from 1922 to 1824. The American Fur Company then leased the fort from 1828 to 1832. Settlers may have used the fort for protection in the 1832 Black Hawk War.
The post was finally abandoned in July 1824. The American Fur Company leased the fort from 1828 To 1832 and the fort may have been used for protection during the 1832 Black Hawk War. The abandoned site was sold off in 1844.
No remains. Fort Edwards State Memorial in Warsaw, Illinois. Memorial obelisk and markers.