Fort McAndrew (1942-1955) - A U.S. Army Fort first established in Canada in 1942 as a result of the North Atlantic Treaty. Turned over to the U.S. Air Force in 1946 and renamed McAndrew Air Force Base in 1948. Decommissioned in 1955.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Argentia.
Fort McAndrew was established in March 1942 at present day Argentia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, to provide protection for the nearby U.S. Navy Naval Air Station Argentia. Fort McAndrew housed a Coast Artillery company, an anti-motor torpedo boat (AMTB) and an anti-aircraft artillery company. In 1943, there were more than 12,000 American military personnel were stationed at the Argentia base.
Post World War II
Fort McAndrew was turned over to the U.S. Air Force in 1946 and became McAndrew Air Force Base in 1948. The Air Force closed the airfield in 1955 and turned it over to the U.S. Navy who operated it as Argentia Naval Air Station until 1975.