Fort Mouton (1863-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 in Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama. Named Fort Mouton after Confederate General Alfred Mouton (Cullum 1487), who was killed in combat at Mansfield, Louisiana on 8 Apr 1864. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
History of Fort Mouton
Built by Confederate forces in 1863 as a square earthworks redoubt with two bastions facing the outer defense lines of Mobile Alabama. The fort parapets were 15' to 25' thick with a tidewater ditch that was 20' deep and 30' wide. Inside the fort was large central magazine. The fort was reportedly armed with eight, 8" Columbiad cannon and an unspecified number of 24-pounder, 32-pounder and 42-pounder siege guns.
Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.