Fort Proctor (1856-1860) - A Third System Coastal Fort first established in 1856 on Shell Beach, St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana. Abandoned in 1860. Also known as Proctors Landing Tower, Tower at Proctorsville, and Fort Beauregard (1)
Third System (1816-1867)
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Mississippi.
Built as a square fortified tower surrounded by a square moat near Shell Beach, St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana. The site was purchased 15 Mar 1856 and construction began soon after. The Tower was never completed.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
An 1860 storm set back the construction and the start of the U.S. Civil War provided a permanent work stoppage.
Private property, offshore surrounded by water, Shell Beach, St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.