Fort Ranger (1778-1781) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1778 near Center Rutland, Rutland County, Vermont. Abandoned as a fortification in 1781.
Fort Ranger was established in 1778 and served as the regional command center and stores depot for the defense of the western Vermont frontier. It was located along the west bank of Otter Creek just below present-day Mead's Falls. Whitcomb's Rangers were stationed here.
Fort Ranger covered some two acres and included a two-story blockhouse and housed a permanent garrison. Fort Warren was built in 1770 at Castleton to form a new western flank of the frontier. After the soldiers at Fort Ranger left for the new Fort Warren, the settlers used the Fort as a gathering place.
The 1903 DAR stone marker can still be seen on Google street view on the south side of the intersection of East Proctor Road and Vermont Business Route 4 in Center Rutland. The marker states that:
Fort Ranger Stood on the Opposite Bluff - 1778
That area has been the site of industrial, commercial, transportation, and residential development since the 19th century, and it is unlikely that any remains of the fort could be found.