Fort Varnum (1941-1948) - An World War II Coastal Fort first established in 1941 at Boston Neck, Washington County, Rhode Island. Named in G.O. 61, 6 Nov 1942, after Brigadier General James Mitchell Varnum, Continental Army. Abandoned in 1948.
World War II
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Fort Varnum had thee gun batteries emplaced, two of them were transferred from other coastal forts and the third was a battery of four 90mm AMTB guns. Also on the post were a number of fire control batteries disguised as houses and a mine command post.
Active National Guard installation.