Fort Clinch (1): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "==ReplaceText Picture Gallery== {| cellspacing="5" width="800px" border="1" cellpadding="5" | |- valign="top" |width="33%" class="MainPageBG" style="border: 1px solid #c6c9ff; color: #000; background-color: #f0f0ff"| '''Click on the pictu |
Bot: Automated import of articles *** existing text overwritten *** |
||
(6 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{PageHeader}}{{External|wikidata=Q5470932|wikipedia=Fort_Clinch}} | |||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1847-1936) - A U.S. Army [[Third System]] masonry coastal defense fort begun in 1847 and construction continued until 1867. Named after General [[Duncan L. Clinch]] in November 1850. Never completed or fully armed. Abandoned in 1900. | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1847-1936) - A U.S. Army [[Third System]] masonry coastal defense fort begun in 1847 and construction continued until 1867. Named after General [[Duncan L. Clinch]] in November 1850. Never completed or fully armed. Abandoned in 1900. | ||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Clinch2 Guardhouse.jpg| | |width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Clinch2 Guardhouse.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Fort Clinch Guardhouse and Prison]] | ||
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Clinch Parade.jpg| | |width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Clinch Parade.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Fort Clinch Parade Showing the Barracks, Warehouse and the Officer Quarters Foundations]] | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Clinch - 071.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Clinch 10" Rodman Cannons]] | |colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Clinch - 071.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Clinch 10" Rodman Cannons]] | ||
Line 12: | Line 12: | ||
== [[Third System]] == | == [[Third System]] == | ||
[[Image:Fort Clinch Sally Port.jpg|thumb|left| | [[Image:Fort Clinch Sally Port.jpg|thumb|left|350px|Fort Clinch Sally Port]] | ||
Established to protect the entrance to Cumberland Sound and the mouths of the Amelia and St. Johns rivers. | Established to protect the entrance to Cumberland Sound and the mouths of the Amelia and St. Johns rivers. | ||
Line 19: | Line 19: | ||
== [[U.S. Civil War]] == | == [[U.S. Civil War]] == | ||
[[Image:Fort Clinch CW Flag.jpg|thumb|left| | [[Image:Fort Clinch CW Flag.jpg|thumb|left|350px|Fort Clinch Civil War Period Garrison Flag]] | ||
At the beginning of the [[U.S. Civil War]] the Florida Militia occupied Fort Clinch. Union forces reoccupied the fort in March 1862 after it was abandoned by Confederate forces. The fort was never shelled and sustained no damage during the [[U.S. Civil War]]. | At the beginning of the [[U.S. Civil War]], the Florida Militia occupied Fort Clinch. Union forces reoccupied the fort in March 1862 after it was abandoned by Confederate forces. The fort was never shelled and sustained no damage during the [[U.S. Civil War]]. | ||
Fort Clinch was put in caretaker status after the [[U.S. Civil War]] and never finished or completely armed. | Fort Clinch was put in caretaker status after the [[U.S. Civil War]] and never finished or completely armed. | ||
Line 26: | Line 26: | ||
== [[Endicott Period]] == | == [[Endicott Period]] == | ||
[[Image:Fort Clinch2 8" Emp.jpg|thumb|left| | [[Image:Fort Clinch2 8" Emp.jpg|thumb|left|350px|Endicott Period 8" Rifled Cannon Emplacement]] | ||
Fort Clinch was re-garrisoned in early 1898 by Battery A, [[6th U.S. Artillery]] as a result of the [[Spanish American War]]. Some improvements and repairs were made but Fort Clinch did not have any of the heavy concrete batteries of the Endicott Period installed. A single, small, unnamed, [[Endicott Period]] battery was built along the northeast parapet for one M1888, 8" rifled gun on a modified 15-inch Rodman carriage. The fort was only garrisoned for a short period in 1898 and the troops were removed in September 1898. | Fort Clinch was re-garrisoned in early 1898 by Battery A, [[6th U.S. Artillery]] as a result of the [[Spanish American War]]. Some improvements and repairs were made but Fort Clinch did not have any of the heavy concrete batteries of the Endicott Period installed. A single, small, unnamed, [[Endicott Period]] battery was built along the northeast parapet for one M1888, 8" rifled gun on a modified 15-inch Rodman carriage. The fort was only garrisoned for a short period in 1898 and the troops were removed in September 1898. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
Line 34: | Line 34: | ||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
[[Image:Fort Clinch2 Museum.jpg|thumb|left| | [[Image:Fort Clinch2 Museum.jpg|thumb|left|350px|Fort Clinch Museum]] | ||
In 1935, the state of Florida purchased 256 acres which included the abandoned fort and developed one of Florida's first State Parks. The | In 1935, the state of Florida purchased 256 acres which included the abandoned fort, and developed one of Florida's first State Parks. The Civilian Conservation Corps restored the fort in the 1930s. It was formally opened to the public in 1938. Ten [[U.S. Civil War]] period guns are mounted on period carriages and emplaced along the parapets as they would have been in that period. Four major buildings have been restored and interpreted including a two-story barracks, single-story prison and guardhouse, and a two-story warehouse. The entrance to the fort includes a visitor center/gift shop and a small museum. Must see fortification. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
Line 41: | Line 41: | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.704689" lon="-81.454461" zoom="18" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.704689" lon="-81.454461" zoom="18" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(F) 30.704689, -81.454461 | (F) 30.704689, -81.454461 | ||
{{PAGENAME}}<br>(1847-1936) | {{PAGENAME}}<br>(1847-1936) | ||
Line 51: | Line 51: | ||
* Elevation: ' | * Elevation: ' | ||
|} | |} | ||
'''See Also:''' | |||
* [[Spanish American War Emergency 8-Inch Seacoast Batteries]] | |||
'''Sources:''' | '''Sources:''' | ||
Line 74: | Line 77: | ||
[[Category:Coastal Forts]] | [[Category:Coastal Forts]] | ||
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | ||
[[Category:Must See]] | [[Category:Must See]] | ||
[[Category:2009 Southern Trip]] | [[Category:2009 Southern Trip]] | ||
[[Category:2012 Research Trip]] | [[Category:2012 Research Trip]] |
Latest revision as of 05:00, 26 February 2025
More information at Warlike and Wikipedia
Fort Clinch (1) (1847-1936) - A U.S. Army Third System masonry coastal defense fort begun in 1847 and construction continued until 1867. Named after General Duncan L. Clinch in November 1850. Never completed or fully armed. Abandoned in 1900.
Third System![]() Established to protect the entrance to Cumberland Sound and the mouths of the Amelia and St. Johns rivers. Built as a masonry Third System fort with five sides and bastions located on each corner. Designed to mount 70 pieces of heavy ordnance, it was never fully armed.
U.S. Civil War![]() At the beginning of the U.S. Civil War, the Florida Militia occupied Fort Clinch. Union forces reoccupied the fort in March 1862 after it was abandoned by Confederate forces. The fort was never shelled and sustained no damage during the U.S. Civil War. Fort Clinch was put in caretaker status after the U.S. Civil War and never finished or completely armed.
Endicott Period![]() Fort Clinch was re-garrisoned in early 1898 by Battery A, 6th U.S. Artillery as a result of the Spanish American War. Some improvements and repairs were made but Fort Clinch did not have any of the heavy concrete batteries of the Endicott Period installed. A single, small, unnamed, Endicott Period battery was built along the northeast parapet for one M1888, 8" rifled gun on a modified 15-inch Rodman carriage. The fort was only garrisoned for a short period in 1898 and the troops were removed in September 1898.
World War IIService during the World War II was limited to a communications and security facility. Current Status![]() In 1935, the state of Florida purchased 256 acres which included the abandoned fort, and developed one of Florida's first State Parks. The Civilian Conservation Corps restored the fort in the 1930s. It was formally opened to the public in 1938. Ten U.S. Civil War period guns are mounted on period carriages and emplaced along the parapets as they would have been in that period. Four major buildings have been restored and interpreted including a two-story barracks, single-story prison and guardhouse, and a two-story warehouse. The entrance to the fort includes a visitor center/gift shop and a small museum. Must see fortification.
See Also: Sources:
Links: Visited: 29 Feb 2012, 17 Jan 2010
|