Fort King: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "width="500"" to "width="-500" height="-500"" |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{PageHeader}} | |||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1827-1829, 1832-1843) - A U.S. Army post established in 1827 by Captain [[James M. Glassell]] and two companies of the [[4th U.S. Infantry]], in present day Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Named for Colonel [[William King]], U.S. Army officer, who was military | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1827-1829, 1832-1843) - A U.S. Army post established in 1827 by Captain [[James M. Glassell]] and two companies of the [[4th U.S. Infantry]], in present-day Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Named for Colonel [[William King]], U.S. Army officer, who was military governor of West Florida (1818-1819). Abandoned in 1829 and regarrisoned in 1832, finally abandoned in 1843. Also known as [[Cantonment King]] or [[Camp King]]. | ||
<!-- | <!-- | ||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
Line 11: | Line 12: | ||
|} | |} | ||
--> | --> | ||
== | == History == | ||
Established adjacent to a Seminole Indian Agency and first garrisoned in February 1827 by Captain [[James M. Glassell]] and two companies of the [[4th U.S. Infantry]]. The post was built as a log stockade with a 14' square blockhouse in one angle. A 50' by 25' barracks housed the enlisted troops and two separate 20' by 50' buildings housed the officers. A mess hall and powder magazine were also in the compound. The fort was abandoned 1 Jul 1829 but reoccupied on 18 Jul 1832 by 1st Lt. [[William M. Graham]] {{Cullum|164}} and Company D, [[4th U.S. Infantry]] from [[Fort Brooke]]. | Established adjacent to a Seminole Indian Agency and first garrisoned in February 1827 by Captain [[James M. Glassell]] and two companies of the [[4th U.S. Infantry]]. The post was built as a log stockade with a 14' square blockhouse in one angle. A 50' by 25' barracks housed the enlisted troops and two separate 20' by 50' buildings housed the officers. A mess hall and powder magazine were also in the compound. The fort was abandoned 1 Jul 1829 but reoccupied on 18 Jul 1832 by 1st Lt. [[William M. Graham]] {{Cullum|164}} and Company D, [[4th U.S. Infantry]] from [[Fort Brooke]]. | ||
Line 17: | Line 18: | ||
On 28 Dec 1835, Seminole Indians led by [[Osceola]] attacked and killed the Indian agent General [[Wiley Thompson]] and six others in his party outside the Fort King stockade. Thompson was shot 14 times and scalped. The Dade massacre of the relief column coming to Fort King from [[Fort Brooke]] took place on the very same day. These two events signaled the beginning of the [[Seminole War II|Second Seminole War]]. [[Osceola]] was captured under a false flag of truce in July 1837 and imprisoned at [[Fort Moultrie]], South Carolina, where he died on 30 Jan 1838. | On 28 Dec 1835, Seminole Indians led by [[Osceola]] attacked and killed the Indian agent General [[Wiley Thompson]] and six others in his party outside the Fort King stockade. Thompson was shot 14 times and scalped. The Dade massacre of the relief column coming to Fort King from [[Fort Brooke]] took place on the very same day. These two events signaled the beginning of the [[Seminole War II|Second Seminole War]]. [[Osceola]] was captured under a false flag of truce in July 1837 and imprisoned at [[Fort Moultrie]], South Carolina, where he died on 30 Jan 1838. | ||
Fort King was abandoned in favor of [[Fort Drane]] in May 1836 and the Indians burned it to the ground two months later. The post was regarrisoned and rebuilt 25 Apr 1837 by Bvt. Major [[Thomas Childs]] {{Cullum|97}}, [[3rd U.S. Artillery]] and a force of 136 officers and men. The war continued until 1842 and the post was finally abandoned and the garrison withdrawn on 25 Mar 1843. | Fort King was abandoned in favor of [[Fort Drane]] in May 1836 and the Indians burned it to the ground two months later. The post was regarrisoned and rebuilt 25 Apr 1837 by Bvt. Major [[Thomas Childs]] {{Cullum|97}}, [[3rd U.S. Artillery]] and a force of 136 officers and men. The war continued until 1842 and the post was finally abandoned and the garrison was withdrawn on 25 Mar 1843. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
A National Historic Landmark mostly under city and county ownership | A National Historic Landmark mostly under city and county ownership. Marker and a monument in Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Site Archeological ID: 8MR60. | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="29.186230" lon="-82.082831" zoom="15" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="29.186230" lon="-82.082831" zoom="15" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(M) 29. | (M) 29.18623, -82.08283, Fort King Marker | ||
(F) 29. | (F) 29.18627, -82.08430, Fort King | ||
(1827-1829, 1832-1843) | (1827-1829, 1832-1843) | ||
</googlemap> | </googlemap> | ||
Line 32: | Line 33: | ||
'''Location:''' Ocala, Marion County, Florida. | '''Location:''' Ocala, Marion County, Florida. | ||
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|29. | {{Mapit-US-cityscale|29.18623|-82.08283}} | ||
* Elevation: 131' | * Elevation: 131' | ||
|valign="top"| | |||
<br> | |||
'''GPS Locations:''' | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=29.18623|Lon=-82.08283}} Fort King Marker | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=29.18627|Lon=-82.08430}} Fort King | |||
|} | |} | ||
Revision as of 16:05, 7 December 2019
HistoryEstablished adjacent to a Seminole Indian Agency and first garrisoned in February 1827 by Captain James M. Glassell and two companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry. The post was built as a log stockade with a 14' square blockhouse in one angle. A 50' by 25' barracks housed the enlisted troops and two separate 20' by 50' buildings housed the officers. A mess hall and powder magazine were also in the compound. The fort was abandoned 1 Jul 1829 but reoccupied on 18 Jul 1832 by 1st Lt. William M. Graham (Cullum 164) and Company D, 4th U.S. Infantry from Fort Brooke. ![]() On 28 Dec 1835, Seminole Indians led by Osceola attacked and killed the Indian agent General Wiley Thompson and six others in his party outside the Fort King stockade. Thompson was shot 14 times and scalped. The Dade massacre of the relief column coming to Fort King from Fort Brooke took place on the very same day. These two events signaled the beginning of the Second Seminole War. Osceola was captured under a false flag of truce in July 1837 and imprisoned at Fort Moultrie, South Carolina, where he died on 30 Jan 1838. Fort King was abandoned in favor of Fort Drane in May 1836 and the Indians burned it to the ground two months later. The post was regarrisoned and rebuilt 25 Apr 1837 by Bvt. Major Thomas Childs (Cullum 97), 3rd U.S. Artillery and a force of 136 officers and men. The war continued until 1842 and the post was finally abandoned and the garrison was withdrawn on 25 Mar 1843.
Current StatusA National Historic Landmark mostly under city and county ownership. Marker and a monument in Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Site Archeological ID: 8MR60.
Sources:
Links:
Visited: No
|