Fort McDowell (1): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) |
||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
Construction also began on the Camp buildings in 1863 but the majority were not completed until 1864. | Construction also began on the Camp buildings in 1863 but the majority were not completed until 1864. | ||
Construction on Battery Point Knox and Battery Point Stuart was completed in the summer of 1864 and the guns were mounted in both by the end of August 1864. Battery Point Blunt was plagued by difficulties that caused it to be abandoned in May 1865 | Construction on [[Battery Point Knox]] and [[Battery Point Stuart]] was completed in the summer of 1864 and the guns were mounted in both by the end of August 1864. [[Battery Point Blunt]] was plagued by difficulties that caused it to be abandoned in May 1865 and the guns removed in 1866. | ||
With the end of the [[U.S. Civil War]] Camp Reynolds became a recruit and replacement depot furnishing units and replacements for operations throughout the west including the Indian wars. | |||
{{CampReynoldsUSCivilWar}} | {{CampReynoldsUSCivilWar}} |
Revision as of 11:49, 4 September 2009


Fort McDowell (1) (1863-1946) - Established 12 Sep 1863 during the U.S. Civil War under the supervision of Col. Rene De Russey, U.S. Army Engineers as Camp Reynolds named after Maj. Gen. John Reynolds. Name was changed to Fort McDowell in 1900 after Gen. Irvin McDowell in 1900. Abandoned by the Army in 1946.
Fort McDowell (1) History
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
U.S. Civil War
Camp Reynolds was established on Angel Island in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War to defend San Francisco harbor. The initial survey of the island recommended three temporary earthen batteries at Point Knox, Point Stuart and Point Blunt. Construction began in September 1863 on the batteries and was accompanied by the posting of Company B, 3rd U.S. Artillery to the island on 21 Sep 1863. The company commander, 2nd Lt. John L. Tiernon, named the new post Camp Reynolds after Maj. Gen. John Reynolds who was killed by a sniper at the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1862.
Construction also began on the Camp buildings in 1863 but the majority were not completed until 1864.
Construction on Battery Point Knox and Battery Point Stuart was completed in the summer of 1864 and the guns were mounted in both by the end of August 1864. Battery Point Blunt was plagued by difficulties that caused it to be abandoned in May 1865 and the guns removed in 1866.
With the end of the U.S. Civil War Camp Reynolds became a recruit and replacement depot furnishing units and replacements for operations throughout the west including the Indian wars.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Battery Point Stewart | 1 3 |
10" Columbiad 32 Pounders |
Wooden Wooden |
1864-187? | Smoothbore |
Battery Point Knox | 2 1 7 |
10" Rodman 8" Rodman 32 Pounders |
Wooden Wooden Wooden |
1864-18?? | Smoothbore |
Battery Point Blunt | 7 | ? | Wooden | 1865-1866 | Smoothbore |
Source: CDSG |
Endicott Period
In 1898 Battery Knox Point (1898-1900) was established as a temporary battery. In 1900 Fort McDowell was established on the east side of Angel Island and three Endicott batteries were accepted for service.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Battery Cost | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Battery Drew | 1 | 8" | Barbette | 1898-1898-1900-1917 | $ 34,837 | |
Battery Wallace (1) | 1 | 8" | Disappearing Carriage | 1899-1900-1900-1917 | $ 40,420 | |
Battery Ledyard | 2 | 5" | Barbette | 1900-1900-1900-1916 | $ 20,045 | Guns & Carriages to Battery Call, Fort Miley |
Source: CDSG |
World War II
During World War II three Anti Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) batteries were contemplated but were deferred as the outcome of the war became clear.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Battery AMTB Blunt | 2 | 90mm | AMTB | Deferred | |
Battery AMTB Knox | 2 | 40mm | AMTB | Deferred | |
Battery AMTB Cove | 2 | 40mm | AMTB | Deferred | |
Source: CDSG |
Current Status
The island was declared a California State Park in 1963 and was opened to the public. Historic buildings at Camp Reynolds and Fort McDowell still stand and a restored officer's quarters is open to the public.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Angel Island, San Francisco, California Maps & Images Lat: 37.86278 Long: -122.42167 |
Sources:
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 32-33
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 25-26
- Coast Defense Study Group, Press, Digital Library, Forums
- Kent, Matthew W., Harbor Defenses of San Francisco - A Field Guide 1890 to 1950, Copyright 2009, Blurb, ISBN 978-1-61584-163-9, page 126
Links:
Visited: 29 Aug 2009
Fort McDowell (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |
-
Fort McDowell Officer's Quarters