Fort Macon: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
Line 29: | Line 29: | ||
== [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | == [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | ||
In 1898, during the [[Spanish American War]], the fort was garrisoned by North Carolina troops briefly. The importance of the sound and Beaufort harbor had declined and Fort Macon was not selected to receive any of the [[Endicott Period]] concrete gun batteries. Older guns were remounted and batteries reactivated that included two 100-pounder Parrott rifles, two 10" siege mortars and two 12-pounder field guns. By 10 Oct 1903 the fort is listed as having no armament and in poor condition with a number of arches about to fall owing to the irregular settlement of the foundation. The fort was completely abandoned in 1903. | In 1898, during the [[Spanish American War]], the fort was garrisoned by North Carolina troops briefly. The importance of the sound and Beaufort harbor had declined and Fort Macon was not selected to receive any of the [[Endicott Period]] concrete gun batteries. Older guns were remounted and batteries reactivated that included two 100-pounder Parrott rifles, two 10" siege mortars and two 12-pounder field guns. By 10 Oct 1903 the fort is listed as having no armament and in poor condition with a number of arches about to fall owing to the irregular settlement of the foundation. The fort was completely abandoned in 1903. | ||
{{FtMaconEndicott}} | |||
== [[World War II]] (1941-1945) == | == [[World War II]] (1941-1945) == | ||
Fort Macon was taken over by the Federal government and regarrisoned during [[World War II]]. A $1 per year lease arrangement with return rights to the State was negotiated and Federal troops arrived 21 Dec 1941. The [[:Category:Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inlet|Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inlet]]was created by the First Battalion of the 244th Coast Artillery. Battery B with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts was set up just southwest of the old fort. Battery A was set up 2.5 miles west of Atlantic Beach off Salter Path Road also with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts. The Headquarters Battery set up shop in the old fort casemates. The guns were proof fired 27 Dec 1941. | Fort Macon was taken over by the Federal government and regarrisoned during [[World War II]]. A $1 per year lease arrangement with return rights to the State was negotiated and Federal troops arrived 21 Dec 1941. The [[:Category:Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inlet|Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inlet]]was created by the First Battalion of the 244th Coast Artillery. Battery B with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts was set up just southwest of the old fort. Battery A was set up 2.5 miles west of Atlantic Beach off Salter Path Road also with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts. The Headquarters Battery set up shop in the old fort casemates. The guns were proof fired 27 Dec 1941. |
Revision as of 16:20, 21 March 2012
Fort Macon (1834-1877, 1898-1903, 1941-1945) - A U.S. Army Third System masonry fort begun in 1826 and first garrisoned in Dec 1834. Named after Nathaniel Macon. Abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1903 but reoccupied by U.S. Army troops from Dec 1941 to Nov 1944 during World War II and finally returned to the state 1 Oct 1946.
![]() |
![]() |
![]() | |
![]() |
Third System (1816-1867)
Established to protect the entrance to the harbor at Beaufort and Morehead City, North Carolina.

Fort Macon is a Third System fort designed by Brigadier General Simon Bernard and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1826 and 1834. From it's completion in 1834 until the start of the U.S. Civil War in 1861 it was garrisoned for less than six years and in the hands of a single caretaker most of that time.
The inner structure of the fort is shaped as an irregular pentagon and constructed of brick and stone masonry. It has 26 casemates enclosed by walls that average 4 1/2 feet thick. Three of the five sides face seaward. The inner structure is surrounded by a ditch with two drawbridge entrances. The ditch is surrounded by a high earthwork with additional gun emplacements. The fort was designed to mount 51 seacoast cannon. See Weaver, pages 139-141 for a detailed description.
The fort was upgraded between 1841 and 1846.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)

The fort was in the hands of a caretaker when the U.S. Civil War began on 12 Apr 1861. The North Carolina Militia seized control of the fort two days later and began upgrading the armament in anticipation of a Union attack. The fort remained in Confederate hands for a year before Union forces under Brigadier General John G. Parke mounted a siege. The siege included land base gun and mortar batteries south of the fort, a fleet of gunboats offshore and floating batteries in the sound. Some of the Union land batteries were using new rifled cannon and their fire proved too much for the masonry fort. When the fort's magazines became exposed and vulnerable, the Confederate fort commander, Colonel Moses J. White, surrendered on 26 Apr 1862. The fort remained in Union hands for the duration of the war.
After the war the fort became a Federal prison for both civilian and military prisoners. In 1877 the fort was placed back in caretaker status.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
In 1898, during the Spanish American War, the fort was garrisoned by North Carolina troops briefly. The importance of the sound and Beaufort harbor had declined and Fort Macon was not selected to receive any of the Endicott Period concrete gun batteries. Older guns were remounted and batteries reactivated that included two 100-pounder Parrott rifles, two 10" siege mortars and two 12-pounder field guns. By 10 Oct 1903 the fort is listed as having no armament and in poor condition with a number of arches about to fall owing to the irregular settlement of the foundation. The fort was completely abandoned in 1903.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Battery Cost | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Unnamed | 2 | 100-Pounder Parrott Rifles | Fixed | 1898 | ||
Unnamed | 2 | 10" Siege Mortar | Fixed Mortar | 1898 | ||
Unnamed | 2 | 12-Pounder Napoleons | Fixed Howitzer | 1898 | ||
Source: Branch, Paul, Fort Macon A History , Copyright 1999, Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company of America, ISBN 1-877853-45-3, page 201-209 |
World War II (1941-1945)
Fort Macon was taken over by the Federal government and regarrisoned during World War II. A $1 per year lease arrangement with return rights to the State was negotiated and Federal troops arrived 21 Dec 1941. The Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inletwas created by the First Battalion of the 244th Coast Artillery. Battery B with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts was set up just southwest of the old fort. Battery A was set up 2.5 miles west of Atlantic Beach off Salter Path Road also with four, 155mm GPF guns in field mounts. The Headquarters Battery set up shop in the old fort casemates. The guns were proof fired 27 Dec 1941.
The 155mm battery by the old fort was replaced in 1942 by a battery of two 6" Navy guns on pedestal mounts in concrete emplacements with a concrete BC station. The 6" battery was completed 26 Nov 1942. A battery of two 5" Navy guns at Cape Lookout replaced the other battery of 155mm guns. The 5" battery was completed 17 Sep 1942. An HECP station was placed on top of the old fort to control marine traffic through the Beaufort Inlet. A cantonment of barracks and support buildings was later set up outside the walls of the old fort.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Battery Cost | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Battery 155 - Fort Macon | 4 | 155mm | Mobile Field | 1941-1942 | $ ? | |
Battery 155 - Atlantic Beach | 2 2 |
155mm 155mm |
Mobile Field Mobile Field |
1941-1942 1941-1942 |
$ ? $ ? |
Two moved to Cape Lookout |
Battery 155 - Cape Lookout | 2 | 155mm | Mobile Field | 1942-1942 | $ ? | Moved from Atlantic Beach |
Battery Macon | 2 | 6" | Fixed Pedestal | 1942-1944 | $ ? | Navy Guns |
Battery Cape Lookout | 2 | 5" | Fixed Pedestal | 1942-1944 | $ ? | Navy Guns |
Source: Branch, Paul, Fort Macon A History , Copyright 1999, Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company of America, ISBN 1-877853-45-3, page 226-233 |
In October 1944 the troops were withdrawn and the Temporary Harbor Defense of Beaufort Inlet was deactivated. The post was turned over to the Engineering Department for disposal on 1 Apr 1945.
On 1 Oct 1946 the lease expired and the reservation was returned to the State of North Carolina.
Current Status

Restored and operating as a North Carolina State Park. Three replica cannons on carriages and two original 10" siege mortars in place.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Fort Macon State Park is located in Carteret County on the eastern end of Bogue Banks. From I-95, take US 70 east to Morehead City and turn south on Atlantic Beach Causeway. Cross the bridge to Atlantic Beach and turn left on NC 58. The fort is located at the tip of the island. Maps & Images Lat: 34.696179 Long: -76.678798 |
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 619-620
- Weaver, John R. II, A Legacy in Brick and Stone: America Coastal Defense Forts of the Third System, Redoubt Press, McLean, 2001, First Printing, ISBN 1-57510-069-X, page 139-141
- Branch, Paul, Fort Macon A History , Copyright 1999, Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company of America, ISBN 1-877853-45-3
Links:
- North American Forts - Fort Macon
- North American Forts - Fort Macon History
- North Carolina Parks - Fort Macon
- Wikipedia - Fort Macon
Visited: 17 Mar 2012, 19 Mar 2012
Fort Macon Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |