Battery 247: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "<seo metadescription="Historic US and Canadian fortifications" /> " to "<seo metadescription="Historic US and Canadian fortifications" /> {| style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto" width="800px" |- | " |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
{{PageHeader}} | |||
'''{{PAGENAME}} (1944-1947)''' - A [[World War II]] reinforced concrete gun battery built at [[Fort Canby]] between 9 Feb 1943 and 31 Aug 1944 at a cost of $243,397. Transfered to service 28 Oct 1944. Deactivation started in July 1945 and troops were withdrawn by Oct 1947. | '''{{PAGENAME}} (1944-1947)''' - A [[World War II]] reinforced concrete gun battery built at [[Fort Canby]] between 9 Feb 1943 and 31 Aug 1944 at a cost of $243,397. Transfered to service 28 Oct 1944. Deactivation started in July 1945 and troops were withdrawn by Oct 1947. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} |
Revision as of 20:31, 22 February 2015
Battery 247 (1944-1947) - A World War II reinforced concrete gun battery built at Fort Canby between 9 Feb 1943 and 31 Aug 1944 at a cost of $243,397. Transfered to service 28 Oct 1944. Deactivation started in July 1945 and troops were withdrawn by Oct 1947.
![]() ![]()
World War II (1941-1945)Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia. One of three like batteries that provided a "triangle of fire" protection for the mouth of the Columbia River. Battery 245 at Fort Stevens, Battery 246 at Fort Columbia and Battery 247 at Fort Canby made up the three points of the triangle. Armament consisted of two rapid fire 6", Model T2, 309.9" long rifled guns each mounted in a separate shielded M4 Barbette carriage. Between the two guns was a reinforced concrete bunker housing the ammunition and control mechanisms.
![]()
Current StatusBattery 247 is located on McKenzie Head in Cape Disappointment State Park near Ilwaco, Washington. The battery is open to the public and in reasonable condition. No guns or carriages are in place. Follow the signs to McKenzie Head and park in the small lot at the base of the trail. It's a short climb from the parking lot to the battery above. Parking is limited.
Recent Blog Posts: Sources:
Links: Visited: 13 Sep 2008, 16 Feb 2008 Picture Gallery
|