Battery Quarles (1902-1941) - Battery Quarles was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 10 inch gun battery on Fort Worden, Jefferson County, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Captain Augustus Quarles, 15th U.S. Infantry, who was killed 30 Aug 1847 at the Battle of Churubusco, Mexico, during the Mexican-American War. Battery construction started in 1898, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 16 Jun 1902. Deactivated in 1941.
As originally built, Battery Quarles, Battery Randol and Battery Ash were a part of a larger seven gun unnamed battery that contained five 10" and two 12" guns, all in Barbette carriages.
This was the original "main gun line" located on the top of Artillery Hill. These batteries were all accepted for service on 16 Jun 1902 shortly after the Fort was first garrisoned. The total cost for the three batteries came to $ 232,554.97 (not including guns and carriages).
The batteries were all named in 1904. In 1909 a significant structural upgrade was undertaken on the main gun line. The original 4-2-1 configuration of four 10" guns, two 12" guns and one 10" gun had been changed by swapping the last 10" gun with the first 12" gun to produce a 5-2 configuration. The final configuration had the emplacements as Battery Randol with two 10" guns, Battery Quarles next with three 10" guns and Battery Ash last with two 12" guns. The cost of modifications to the three batteries had reached $50,215.00 by the end of 1909.
Battery Benson was added to the "main gun line" located on the top of Artillery Hill in 1908 with two more 10" guns. These guns were more modern and had disappearing carriages not the Barbette mounts of the initial emplacements. The addition of Battery Benson (and several other batteries) improved coverage of the Straight of Juan de Fuca to the North and West.
Original Main Gun Line Emplacements a/o 10 Oct 1903
Source: RCW Form 1,Aug 1921, Coast Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 120-121, 217 Note 1: Guns & Carriages sent from Fort Worden to York Safe & Lock, Canada, 12 May 1941, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery Quarles Plan
On 31 Mar 1915 a B.C. Station was added to the building behind emplacements 1 and 2 of Battery Quarles that contained the plotting room, chart room, oil room, latrine and two store rooms.
All three guns and carriages were removed from the battery on 25 Mar 1941. The guns and carriages were shipped to York Safe & Lock Company, Canada, 12 May 1941. Two of the guns are known to be at Fort McNutt, Nova Scotia (#12 and #37) along with one carriage (#1) the whereabouts of the remaining gun (#36) and carriages (#9 & #11) are unknown.
Current Status
Part of the Fort Worden State Park. No gun or mounts in place.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}
Location: Artillery Hill, Fort Worden, Jefferson County, Washington