Fort King
HistoryEstablished adjacent to a Seminole Indian Agency and first garrisoned in February 1827 by Captain James M. Glassell and two companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry. The post was built as a log stockade with a 14' square blockhouse in one angle. A 50' by 25' barracks housed the enlisted troops and two separate 20' by 50' buildings housed the officers. A mess hall and powder magazine were also in the compound. The fort was abandoned 1 Jul 1829 but reoccupied on 18 Jul 1832 by 1st Lt. William M. Graham (Cullum 164) and Company D, 4th U.S. Infantry from Fort Brooke. ![]() On 28 Dec 1835, Seminole Indians led by Osceola attacked and killed the Indian agent General Wiley Thompson and six others in his party outside the Fort King stockade. Thompson was shot 14 times and scalped. The Dade massacre of the relief column coming to Fort King from Fort Brooke took place on the very same day. These two events signaled the beginning of the Second Seminole War. Osceola was captured under a false flag of truce in July 1837 and imprisoned at Fort Moultrie, South Carolina, where he died on 30 Jan 1838.
Current StatusA National Historic Landmark mostly under city and county ownership. Marker and a monument in Ocala, Marion County, Florida. The Fort King compound has been recreated and the site is open to the Public. Archeological site ID: 8MR60.
Sources:
Links:
Visited: No
|