Fort McDowell (1)

From FortWiki
Revision as of 08:41, 29 August 2009 by John Stanton (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fort McDowell


Fort McDowell (1) (1863-1946) - Established 12 Sep 1863 during the U.S. Civil War under the supervision of Col. Rene De Russey, U.S. Army Engineers as Camp Reynolds named after Maj. Gen. John Reynolds. Name was changed to Fort McDowell in 1900 after Gen. Irvin McDowell in 1900. Abandoned by the Army in 1946.

Fort McDowell (1) History

Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.

U.S. Civil War

Camp Reynolds was established on Angel Island in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War to defend San Francisco harbor.

Three batteries were constructed:

Endicott Period

In 1898 two more batteries were constructed:

In 1900 Fort McDowell was established on the east side of Angel Island. In 1901 two more batteries were constructed:

World War II

During World War II two batteries were established:

Current Status

The island was declared a California State Park in 1963 and was opened to the public. Historic buildings at Camp Reynolds and Fort McDowell still stand and a restored officer's quarters is open to the public.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Angel Island, San Francisco, California

Maps & Images

Lat: 37.86278 Long: -122.42167

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No

Fort McDowell (1) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!