Fort King
Fort King (1827-1829, 1832-1843) - A U.S. Army post established in 1827 by Captain James M. Glassell and two companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry, in present day Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Named for Colonel William King. Abandoned in 1829 and regarrisoned in 1832, finally abandoned in 1843. Also known as Cantonment King or Camp King.
Fort King History
Established adjacent to a Seminole Indian Agency and first garrisoned in February 1827 by Captain James M. Glassell and two companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry. The post was built as a log stockade with a 14' square blockhouse in one angle. A 50' by 25' barracks housed the enlisted troops and two separate 20' by 50' buildings housed the officers. A mess hall and powder magazine were also in the compound. The fort was abandoned 1 Jul 1829 but regarrisoned in 1832.
On 28 Dec 1835, Seminole Indians under Chief Osceola attacked and killed General Wiley Thompson and four others in his party outside the stockade. The Dade massacre of the relief column coming to Fort King from Fort Brooke took place on the same day. The Dade massacre signaled the beginning of the Second Seminole War. The post was finally abandoned and the garrison withdrawn on 25 Mar 1843.
Current Status
Marker and a monument in Ocala, Marion County, Florida
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Maps & Images Lat: 29.186230 Long: -82.082831 |
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 180-181
Links:
Visited: No
Fort King Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |