Fort Scammel

From FortWiki
Revision as of 05:03, 4 July 2012 by John Stanton (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Fort Scammel (1808-1898) - Established 1808 on House Island in Portland Harbor, Cumberland County, Maine. Built as a Second System Fort by Henry Alexander Scammell Dearborn and rebuilt as a Third System Fort by then Captain Thomas Lincoln Casey in 1862. Named after Colonel Alexander Scammel, Adjutant general of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, who was killed during the Siege of Yorktown. Also known as Fort Scammell.

Fort Scammel East Bastion
Fort Scammel West Bastion
Fort Scammel on House Island

Second System (1808-1816)

Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine.

Fort Scammel Plan
Fort Edgecomb Blockhouse Similar to the Fort Scammel Blockhouse

Designed as a Second System fortification for the harbor defense of Portland, Maine. It was built under the direction of Henry Alexander Scammell Dearborn who was the son of the Secretary of War. Dearborn also oversaw the construction of nearby Fort Preble.

Fort Scammel was built as a semi-circular brick fortification facing the entrance to Portland Harbor. Like many of the Second System forts, Fort Scammel had a large, octaginal blockhouse built from heavy timbers with guns on the upper floor. The blockhouse was located at the rear of fortification, at the center was a powder magazine and a shot furnace. The brickwork fort and the blockhouse were painted white so that all would know that the port was defended (see Fort Edgecomb for a blockhouse example). At the top of the blockhouse was a large carved wooden eagle. The original fort had emplacements for eleven 24 and 32-pounder cannons on the brick work fortification and several more guns on a separate battery on the east side of the island.

In the 1840s and 1850s the walls of the original semi-circular brick work were extended on the right and left flanks and finally to the rear to fully enclose a much larger area. This new configuration provided a land side defense as well as covering the approaches to Portland Harbor.


U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)

Sallyport Entrance
East Bastion Bastion Interior
Fort Scammel Parade Lined with Earth Covered Powder Magazines

During the U.S. Civil War Fort Scammel was expanded and rebuilt as a Third System fort. The major changes included stone bastions on the east and west side of the island and major earthwork connecting the two bastions. A planned north bastion was never completed. The rebuilt Fort Scammel was to have mounted 71 guns including seven mortars but was never fully armed or garrisoned.

Work on the fort continued after the U.S. Civil War and modifications were completed to allow the mounting of 15" Rodman guns and for larger concrete magazines. The funding freeze for coastal defense projects in the latter half of the 1870s stopped modification work at Fort Scammel and a planned battery on the north end was never completed.

By 1903 the fort was listed as without armament and "Not garrisoned. A completed work of the old type. Magazines dry with one exception. Woodwork decayed. In place scarp wall has separated from body of work; otherwise in good condition".


Current Status

Privately owned but open to the public for fee which includes a boat ride. For more information, check the website.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: House Island, Cumberland County, Portland Maine.

Maps & Images

Lat: 43.65028 Long: -70.21333

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 373

Links:

Visited: 3 Jul 2012

Fort Scammel Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!