|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Arrowsmith (1909-1920) - Battery Arrowsmith was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 8 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Hancock (2), New Jersey. The battery was named in G.O. 101, 1908, after George Arrowsmith. Battery construction started in 1905, was completed in 1909 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 25 May 1909 at a cost of $ 63,500.00. Deactivated in 1920.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with three 8" M1888MI guns mounted on M1894 disappearing carriages. This was a two story battery with a separate magazine for each emplacement positioned on the rear, lower level and the guns on the upper level. The battery was positioned to cover the bay side of Sandy Hook so that Battery Potter could be deactivated.
No projectile hoists were provided. Electric power was provided from the central power plant.
|1||8" Rifle||278.5"||M1888MI||14||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1894, #1, Watertown||1909-1920||See note 1|
|2||8" Rifle||278.5"||M1888MI||17||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1894, #4, Watertown||1909-1920||See note 1|
|3||8" Rifle||278.5"||M1888MI||24||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1894, #5, Watertown||1909-1920||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Jul 1921, RCB, 31 Dec 1909, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 108-109, 207|
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 22 Sep 1927, carriages listed as scrapped 13 Dec 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The three guns of Battery Arrowsmith were listed for transfer to service abroad 18 Jul 1918 but was later listed to be remounted and retained. All three disappearing gun carriages were listed as scrapped 13 Dec 1920 as a part of the 1920 disarmament program. The gun tubes were later transferred to Watervliet on 22 Sep 1927 and eventually scrapped in 1942 as a part of the first World War II scrap drive.
Part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, Fort Hancock Unit. No period guns or mounts in place. The battery is partially destroyed but some of the upper level components remain in ruins.
Location: Fort Hancock, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Maps & Images Lat: 40.4491658 Long: -74.0027851
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 14 Aug 2010
Battery Arrowsmith Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!