Fort Henry (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Henry (2) (1810-1811) - Established in 1810 by Andrew Henry, Pierre Menard, John Colter and a group of possibly 60 men for the Missouri Fur Company and Manuel Lisa in Fremont County, Idaho. Abandoned the next year, 1811. Also called Henry's Post.
Fort Henry (2) History
Built as two log cabins and a dirt cellar during the winter of 1810-1811 and abandoned in the spring of 1911. Use by members of the Astor's overland expedition of the Pacific Fur Company in September 1811.
Fort Henry Historic Monument, no period guns or mounts.
Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below:
- Fort Raymond (1807-spring 1813) Montana
- Fort Manuel (1812-Mar 1813) South Dakota (under Lake Oahe)
- Fort Mandan (1809-1813) North Dakota (under Garrison Dam project)
- Fort Henry (1) (1810-1810) Montana (3 Forks)
- Fort Henry (2) (1810-1811) Idaho (Henry's fork of the Snake River)
- Cedar Island (1811-????) South Dakota (under Lake Francis Case)
Location: Fort Henry Historic Monument, Fremont County, Idaho.
Maps & Images Lat: 43.92472 Long: -111.77083
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 251
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 52
- Wood, W. Raymond, First Post in the Far West (November 1807 - March 1813), Discovering Lewis & Clark®, http://www.lewis-clark.org , August 2007
Fort Henry (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!