Fort Henry (1)
Fort Henry (1) (1810-1810) - Established in the spring of 1810 as a fur trading post by Andrew Henry, Pierre Menard and John Colter for the Missouri Fur Company and Manuel Lisa. Abandoned after a few months because of continuous attacks by hostile Blackfeet Indians. Also Known as Three Forks Post, Fort at Three Forks and Andrew Henry's Post.
Built as a 300' square stockaded trading post. Among the traders killed at the fort were two former members of the Corps of Discovery, Drouillard and John Potts. John Colter was taken prisoner, stripped and made to run for his life. He managed to escape and make his way back to Fort Raymond 250 miles away on bare feet.
Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below:
Visited: 19 Aug 2016