Fort Mansfield (1)
Fort Mansfield (1) (1898-1928) - An Endicott Period Coastal Fort first established in 1898 on Napatree Point, Washington County, Rhode Island. Named in G.O. 43, 4 Apr 1900, after MG Joseph K.F. Mansfield, U.S. Volunteers, Inspector General, U.S. Army, 1853-1861, who was a veteran of the Mexican-American War and the U.S. Civil War (1861-1865) and died 18 Sep 1862, of wounds received at the Battle of Antietam, the day previous. Post offered for sale in 1926 and sold in 1928.
Endicott PeriodPart of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound. Construction of the three Endicott Period batteries began in 1898 and all were completed in 1900. The batteries were all accepted for service on the same day, 18 Feb 1901 at a total cost of $ 100,600 for battery construction. ![]() Post construction was essentially completed in 1902 and additional buildings were added up until 1907. The post was built as a small, one-company, open-plan post. Capacity was listed as 4 officers, 5 NCOs, 130 enlisted, and 2 animals. There were 3 sets of officer's quarters, 2 sets of NCO quarters, a permanent 100-man barracks, a temporary 30-man barracks, a guard house, an admin building, and a small 6-bed hospital. Other support buildings brought the total number of buildings to 27. The July 1907 war games determined that there was a dead spot along the Rhode Island coast in the field of fire for the 8" guns of Battery Wooster that would allow the bombardment of the fort and provide an opportunity for capture by land. This weakness led to the deactivation of the fort in 1909 and caretaker status.
![]()
World War IEarly in World War I the guns from all three batteries were removed and redistributed to other installations. The 5' guns were sent to Fort H.G. Wright. The 8" guns were ordered dismounted for service abroad on 24 Aug 1917 and were transferred to Watervliet on 27 Dec 1917. In 1926 the reservation was put up for sale and purchased by private interests, the sale was completed in 1928. The post buildings were torn down in 1928-1929 and only the three batteries remained. World War IIA 16" casemated Battery 114 was proposed for a location near Watch Hill but it was not built.
Current StatusThe site is owned by the Watch Hill Fire District and managed as a wildlife preserve. Battery Wooster and Battery Crawford remain exposed but Battery Connell is in the surf and not normally visible.
Sources:
Links:
Visited: No |