Fourth Cliff Military Reservation
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fourth Cliff Military Reservation (1942-1948) - A World War II Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1942 at Fourth Cliff in Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Abandoned in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
On 5 Dec 1942, 48.56 acres was transferred from the Navy Department to the U.S. Army to support a number of fire control sites and two major gun batteries on Fourth Cliff. Battery 106 was to be a fully casemated 16" gun battery but was never built. Battery 208 was a 6" rapid fire gun battery started in 1942 and accepted for service on 9 Nov 1944. Three fire control towers were built on sites, 1A, 1B, 1C(D) during 1943.
Click on Battery links below
|No.||Caliber||Type Mount||Service Years||Battery Cost||Notes|
|Battery 106||2||16"||Casemated Barbette (CBC)||Not Built||$ 0|
|Battery 208||2||6"||Shielded Barbette (SBC)||1942-1943-1944-1948||$ 334,000|
Part of Fourth Cliff Air Force Family Recreation Area , Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Different site designations exist on different documents for these fire control towers, supplement numbers used here (1945).
Location: Fourth Cliff Military Reservation, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.161041 Long: -70.705620
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Boston, Massachusetts, (HDB-AN-45), 31 Jan 1945, CDSG
- Coastal Defense Study Group, CDSG Press, CDSG Digital Library
Visited: 15 May - 28 May 2012
Fourth Cliff Military Reservation Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!