Fort Pelham (1744-1754) - First established in 1744 by Captain Moses Rice in Rowe, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Named after Henry Pelham, British prime minister (1743-1754) under King George II. The fort was ordered abandoned in 1754.
King George's War (1744-1748)
Sited according to the survey to be 5.5 miles west of Fort Shirley (1) and 2 miles south of Hazen's line. Built as a large palisaded stockade with 12' square elevated watch boxes at each corner. The stockade encompassed almost an acre and a half and was surrounded by a ditch. The garrison usually numbered about 20 men.
This fort was one of a line of forts along the northwest corner of Massachusetts built during King George's War at the direction of Governor Shirley.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Ordered abandoned at the beginning of the French & Indian War.
Site archeologically excavated in 1971-72, marked with granite monument in 1956.