|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery 520 (1944-1947) - Battery 520 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 12 inch casemated coastal gun battery on Marshall Military Reservation, South Carolina. Battery construction started 1 May 1943, was completed 30 Jan 1944 and was transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 28 Feb 1944 at a cost of $ 1,432,443.00. Deactivated in 1947.
Battery 520 History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Charleston.
Originally built as an World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1895MI guns mounted on M1917 Barbette carriages. These guns and carriages were originally emplaced in Battery Kimble, Fort Travis (2), at Galveston, Texas and were transferred to Battery 520 in 1943.
|1||12" Rifle||442.6"||M1895MI||48||Watervliet||Barbette, M1917, #21, Watertown||1944-1947||See note 1|
|2||12" Rifle||442.6"||M1895MI||50||Watervliet||Barbette, M1917, #22, Watertown||1944-1947||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 15 Jun 1944, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 213, 154-155|
Note 1: Guns transferred to Fort Crockett Feb 1918 and then to Battery 520 20 Jul 1943. Carriages transferred to Fort Crockett 25 Aug 1918 and transferred to Battery 520 20 Jul 1943. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Now private property and converted into residence.
Location: Fort Marshall Military Reservation, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
Maps & Images Lat: 32.7705371 Long: -79.8174065
Recent Blog Posts
Visited: 23 Jan 2010
Battery 520 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!