Marshall Military Reservation
A battery was constructed here in 1776 by Colonel William Thompson to stop the British invasion from the Isle of Palm.
Battery Marshall was constructed here in March 1863 by Confederate troops during the U.S. Civil War and named after Colonel J. Foster Marshall. This battery was located on the eastern end of Sullivan's Island, overlooking Breach Inlet, in Charleston Harbor. In 1865 its armament consisted of 14 various calibered smoothbores, rifles, and howitzers.
The Confederate submersible H.L. Hunley reportedly departed from this location on 17 Feb 1864 on her successful mission to sink the USS Housatonic. The USS Housatonic had been on Union blockade-duty in Charleston's outer harbor. The Hunley sank after the attack, killing all eight of her crew. The site of the Hunley was discovered in 1996 and the ship was raised in 2000. The Hunley is on display at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center in North Charleston, South Carolina.
During World War II the Marshall Military reservation was a busy sub-post of Fort Moultrie with barracks and support facilities for the main Fort. Battery 520 was constructed here in 1943 and housed two, 12" Long Range rifles mounted in Casemate Barbette Carriages. These guns were transferred from Battery Kimble, Fort Travis (2), Texas. The Battery was deactivated in 1947 and the area now contains private homes.
Visited: 2 Feb 2013, 23 Jan 2010