Camp Hayden (1941-1948) - A World War II Coastal Artillery Camp established in 1941 as Striped Peak Military Reservation at Tongue Point, Clallam County, Washington. Named Fort Hayden in G.O. 31, 17 Apr 1944, after Brigadier General John L. Hayden, former commanding officer of the Puget Sound harbor defenses. Renamed Camp Hayden in G.O. 56, 22 Oct 1942. The post was abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
In 1941, temporary batteries were installed near Port Angeles and Angeles Point to protect the entrance to Puget Sound, the Victoria BC harbor, and the Canadian naval base at Esquimalt. These batteries supplemented the fixed batteries at Fort Casey (1), Fort Flagler and Fort Worden.
The temporary installations were eventually replaced by the Camp Hayden military reservation and its two fixed gun batteries. Battery 249 contained two 6" guns and Battery 131 housed two large 16" guns mounted in reinforced concrete casemates. The 16" guns could fire a one ton projectile almost 28 miles and the 6" rapid fire guns could fire a 105 pound armor-piercing shell 15 miles at a rate of 5 rounds per minute. The guns were test-fired only once before the Camp closed in 1948.
A separate plotting and Switchboard Room (PSR) for Battery 131 is located 900 feet south of the main battery. The PSR has 12-15 foot thick walls and a 16 foot roof covered with 3 feet of earth, all to isolated the PSR from the concussion of the 16" guns and to protect it from any incoming fire. Inside the PSR ia a 24' by 32' plotting room and an 18' by 24' switchboard room used to direct the fire of the 16" guns. The PSR was self contained with a power plant and gas proof air lock. A small escape hatch exits through the roof. Battery 131 had eleven fire control structures associated with it strung along the shore of the Juan De Fuca Straights. The eleven stations included a battery command post (BC), nine combined observation and spotting stations and SCR 296 radar set #4.
The plotting room for Battery 249 was built into the battery support structure. Nine fire control structures were associated with Battery 249. The nine stations included a battery command post (BC), seven combined observation and spotting stations and SCR 296 radar set #3.
An auxillary HECP-HDCP was located on the water facing side of nearby Striped Peak at the 900' level. The auxiliary HECP-HDCP worked in conjunction with the main HECP-HDCP at Fort Worden to manage the ship traffic entering and exiting Puget Sound and to manage the defense of the Sound. The HECP-HDCP at Striped Peak was equipped with SCR-682 radar #2.
Facitities, including temporary barracks for about 150 men, were build along Salt Creek.
Part of the Clallam County Salt Creek Recreation Area in Washington State. No period guns or carriages in place. Battery 131 accessible to the public but no access to internal rooms. Battery 249 accessible via overgrown trail not recommended by staff.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 14 Apr 2010, 22 Jun 2009
Camp Hayden Picture Gallery