Fort Casey (1): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
Line 9: | Line 9: | ||
Fort Casey, with [[Fort Worden]] and [[Fort Flagler]], comprised a "triangle of fire" guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. All the guns were removed from Fort Casey prior to it's abandonment by the U.S. Army in 1950. | Fort Casey, with [[Fort Worden]] and [[Fort Flagler]], comprised a "triangle of fire" guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. All the guns were removed from Fort Casey prior to it's abandonment by the U.S. Army in 1950. | ||
{{FtCaseyEndicott}} | {{FtCaseyEndicott}} | ||
== [[World War II]] == | |||
Fort Casey was reactivated during [[World War II]] as a training center. Two batteries were modified to hold 3" anti-aircraft batteries and the barracks were rebuilt. | |||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
Placed in caretaker status by the US Army in 1950. Put up for sale by the General Services Administration in 1956 and acquired by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Now 467 acre Fort Casey State Park. | Placed in caretaker status by the US Army in 1950. Put up for sale by the General Services Administration in 1956 and acquired by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Now 467 acre Fort Casey State Park. Battery Worth has two display guns and carriages installed that were obtained in 1967 from Battery Warwick, Fort Wint, Subic Bay, Philippines. Battery Battery Trevor also has two display guns in place. | ||
---- | ---- | ||
{| | {| |
Revision as of 19:27, 16 July 2008
Fort Casey (1890-1950) - In 1890 the Army established its garrison at Fort Casey named in honor of Brigadier General Thomas Lincoln Casey, the last U.S. Army chief of engineers. The fort was placed in caretaker status in 1950 and acquired by Washington State in 1956.

Fort Casey (1) History
Built as an Endicott Period coastal defense fort. A small detail of troops arrived on the reservation shortly after the completion of the gun emplacements in Early 1900. the first garrison numbered thirty men under the command of Lieutenant A.D.Putnam. Fort Casey was officially activated about 1900 and although it's guns were never fired in anger, it remained an integral part of the US defense. Fort Casey, with Fort Worden and Fort Flagler, comprised a "triangle of fire" guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. All the guns were removed from Fort Casey prior to it's abandonment by the U.S. Army in 1950.
Battery Click on Battery links below |
No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Battery Cost | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Battery Schenck | 8 | 12" | Mortar | 1898-1899-1902-1942 | $ 46,604 | |
Battery Seymour | 8 | 12" | Mortar | 1899-1899-1902-1942 | $ 46,604 | |
Battery Worth (1) | 2 | 10" | Disappearing | 1897-1898-1902-1942 | $ 51,947 | 2 display guns 1967 |
Battery Kingsbury (1) | 2 | 10" | Disappearing | 1901-1904-1905-1942 | $ 92,261 | |
Battery Moore | 2 1 |
10" 10" |
Disappearing Disappearing |
1897-1899-1902-1942 190?-1904-1905-1942 |
$ 98,078 | |
Battery Parker | 2 | 6" | Disappearing | 1903-1905-1907-1917 | $ 50,380 | |
Battery Valleau | 4 | 6" | Disappearing | 1903-1907-1907-1917 | $ 92,125 | |
Battery Turman | 2 | 5" | Balanced Pillar | 1899-1901-1902-1918 | $ 18,850 | |
Battery Trevor | 2 | 3" | Pedestal | 1903-1905-1907-1933 | $ 15,800 | 2 display guns 1960 |
Battery Van Horne | 2 | 3" | Pedestal | 1903-1905-1907-1945 | $ 14,695 | |
Source: CDSG |
World War II
Fort Casey was reactivated during World War II as a training center. Two batteries were modified to hold 3" anti-aircraft batteries and the barracks were rebuilt.
Current Status
Placed in caretaker status by the US Army in 1950. Put up for sale by the General Services Administration in 1956 and acquired by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Now 467 acre Fort Casey State Park. Battery Worth has two display guns and carriages installed that were obtained in 1967 from Battery Warwick, Fort Wint, Subic Bay, Philippines. Battery Battery Trevor also has two display guns in place.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: On Admiralty Head, Whidbey Island, Washington Maps & Images Lat: 48.16241 Long: -122.67995 |
Sources:
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 181
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 830
- Coastal Defense Study Group
Links:
Publications:
Visited: No
Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |